It’s been a while since my last custom rom release of this model, but yesterday, one of my niece who own this device for some time, ask me to repartition her device so it has a bigger internal storage for her apps. I don’t have idea from where she get that information, but kids this day with their facebutt and internet is unpredictable. 🙂
Before doing anything, I try this device, … I’m aware it’s a single core but it’s a bit too sluggish and far being called responsive.
So i backup all of her apps with titanium, repartition the internal storage into 2Gb and flashed my old custom rom, then restore all of her apps, and try it. It is better now but not really satisfied with the result, so i go back to the kitchen and cook another rom with some more tweaks. Flash the new rom and this time is pretty fast in my thought so … rather than only she got the benefits, i share here for all.
Here are the ingredients of the new custom rom :
- see the complete list of tweaks i’ve done before on old release custom rom
- fix root and replace superuser with supersu
- rooted boot.img
- some dalvikvm performance tweak (different from the old one)
- entropy generator tweak
- init.d support (of course)
And here is the custom rom update release 020213 :
MD5sum : 1a4c76d6245ce836af415ba6b6099e09
And here is the steps to flash this custom rom :
Requirement and Preparation :
- Read this thoroughly :
Your warranty is now void !!!
I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Flash at your own risk!
Please do some research if you have any concerns about risk of flashing a custom rom before continuing! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you!!
If you have any other objection, don’t bother to comment, just close this page!
- This custom rom need a custom recovery to flashed into the device, if you haven’t got it, get it here : TWRP and CWM recovery PICOpad GEA. Both are working good for this device, get it whichever you like, but personally I prefer TWRP more than CWM for this device because of their feature to backup the camera type setting, trust me, you’ll gonna need this for not to screwed the camera setting and the IMEI numbers. From now on, i will assume we’ll be using TWRP recovery for this flashing process
Flashing Process :
The steps to flash this custom rom is pretty straight forward :
- Download the custom rom from link above and copy it to the root of your sdcard, you may check it first with your file manager to confirm it was there. There are two sdcard storage on picopad GEA so you must know it’s at the internal sdcard or external sdcard. I prefer you put this on external sdcard to avoid any difficulties.
- Boot into recovery mode by turning off your phone, hold down Volume + button then press power button, hold them both until you see axioo logo on screen then release it. Wait a sec or two … then you’ll be in TWRP recovery mode.
- BACKUP your stock rom and data using BACKUP feature, make sure you use external storage as destination because this backup is relatively big.
- This is IMPORTANT STEP!!!
BACKUP your camera setting and IMEI using this tutorial : backup camera settings and imei using twrp
Make sure you can restore the backup by trying it first. I warn you, do not continue if you don’t done this backup properly.
- Choose Wipe Data / Factory reset and execute it
- Choose Wipe cache partition and execute it
- Choose Wipe Dalvik Cache and execute it
- Go back to main menu by touching the Home icon, and choose Install
- It will open a list of file on your sdcard, choose the custom rom zip file that you put on step 1 and flash it by swiping the slider.
- After the installation completed, choose Reboot System
- Try the new custom rom and check the IMEI numbers and your camera (back and front), if it lost, not working or turned upside down, go back to recovery mode and restore your backup of imei and camera setting on step 4. See? the backup is very important.
Here is the result after flash :
Feel the difference before and after using the custom rom especially the responsiveness.
Enjoy your PICOpad GEA on steroids.