On early week this new year, axioo release new device revision of M5C model, named as M5Cv2 that has a different hardware inside it. I’m not really sure what’s the different between the two, but as long as I know, the nand flash emmc and front / back camera are different.
While M5C predecessor is on lollipop version, this M5Cv2 now adopt marshmallow as the default. This marshmallow custom rom is specific only for M5Cv2 and cannot be use on M5C, I repeat, it is NOT compatible between the two. Beside the incompatible hardware and from software point of view … the kernel driver modules … which we always struggle for the source :-), M5C also doesn’t have enough emmc partition space that can hold up even the minimum space for marshmallow system without having to repartition the whole things and recompile from source code. So, in short, do not ask marshmallow update for M5C or even try to use this marshmallow release on M5C, you’re only wasting time.
OK. Let’s begin, this is the features of this rom :
- Marshmallow 6.0 – MRA58K
- Pixel Launcher
- Pixel Boot Animation
- Pixel Ringtones and Notifications sounds
- Pixel GBoard Keyboard LatinIME
- Pixel Google Wallpapers
- Fully updated all gapps package on 19Jan2017
- Latest SuperSU with SR1 patch v2.79-SR1-20161221223537 with dm-verity disabled (Thanks to Chainfire)
- Fully odexed all system apps for faster boot and small footprints on internal
- Something I forgot to list …
Download : m5cv2_190117-signed.zip
MD5 : f3b288082fc8b69fc79e80196a5e0993
Requirement and Preparation :
- Read this thoroughly :
I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Flash at your own risk!
Please do some research if you have any concerns about risk of flashing a custom rom before continuing! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you!! If you have any other objection, don’t bother to comment, just close this page!
- Already mention on intro above, but I repeat : this marshmallow custom rom is only for M5Cv2, cannot be use for M5C. As a quick reminder and reference, the M5Cv2 or version 2 of this m5c model will have a build number like this : Axioo_M5CV2_GEDV2_2017xxxx.
And M5C or m5c model version 1 will have a build number like this : Axioo_M5C_GED0_2016xxxx.
- This custom rom also need marshmallow version custom recovery. If you haven’t got it, get it from here : custom recovery TWRP 184.108.40.206 for Axioo M5Cv2
Flashing Process :
The steps to flash this custom rom is pretty straight forward :
- Download the custom rom from link above and copy it to the root of your sdcard, you may check it first with your file manager to confirm it was there. There are two sdcard storage on this device, so you must know it’s at the internal sdcard or external sdcard. I prefer you to put this on external sdcard to avoid any difficulties.
- Boot into recovery mode by turning off your phone, hold down Volume Up button then press power button, hold them both until you see the recovery menu then release it. The recovery menu will show about 3 options, Recovery, Fastboot and Normal Mode. Select the Recovery options using Volume Up button and press Enter using Volume Down button. Wait a sec or two … then you’ll be in recovery mode.
- BACKUP your stock rom and data using BACKUP feature, make sure you use external storage as destination because this backup is relatively big.
- Choose Wipe Data / Factory reset and execute it.
- Go back to main menu, and choose Install
- It will open a list of file on your sdcard, choose the custom rom zip file that you put on step 1 and flash it.
- After the installation completed, choose Reboot System
If everything okay, you will see this screenshots on yours :
Other notes from me :
Pixel weather widget
You can directly check the weather from weather widget on home screen. To have this, you must setup Google Now correctly. First, make sure you already enabled High Accuracy and Google Location History on Google Settings page on Settings. Second, swipe to google now card page from home screen and go to Settings, choose Your Feed and make sure Get Notified on Weather is Enabled.
Give some time for the device to get an updated weather condition from the internet, and if everything is okay then it will perform like this :
(sorry about the portrait orientation and unnecessary audio, I wasn’t plan this to be on youtube, only a glimpse preview send on chat for my friend who wants to know how it works.)
Happy Flashing !